Guidelines for applicants for registering grievance Guidelines for applicants for registering grievance

Guidelines for applicants for registering grievance

High Commission of India



Guidelines for applicants to register Grievance

The High Commission of India, Kingston attaches great importance to speedy redressal of consular grievances of Indians in distress abroad and to provide them necessary assistance. Being diplomatic entities, however, it is obligatory on the part of our Missions/Posts, to conform to the established international norms of engagement in a foreign country with the host government authorities, foreign private establishments and private individuals. There could be issues and situations, where an intervention by the High Commission may not be considered desirable.

The applicants are advised to go through the following basic guidelines before registering their grievances on MADAD/CPGRAM portal or approaching the High Commission of India, Kingston:

(i) The MADAD/CPGRAM portals are for filing grievances by Indian nationals only. Foreigners may submit their grievance to the Consular Section of the Indian High Commission through e-mail.

(ii) In matters like purely family disputes, seeking help of Indian authorities in resolving issues in India, complaints with foreign airlines/private school abroad etc., applicants are advised to approach the concerned authority in India/abroad.

(iii) For demand of action against a foreign entity/individual, the complainant should approach the concerned authority of the foreign country. The Ministry of External Affairs or High Commission cannot initiate punitive action against Indian nationals (such as revocation/impounding/cancellation of passports) based on complaints by individuals; Orders from Court/legal basis, is required for such action. It is beyond the purview of the High Commission to prevent individuals from leaving/entering India or other countries or intervene in the process of grant of foreign visas.

(iv) The personal issues in marital relationships fall beyond the ambit of consular grievance. The Indian High Commission would, however, readily assist destitute Indian nationals abroad, particularly women in distress and children, on case-to-case basis.

(v) For commercial disputes, the portal of the Director General of Foreign Trade at may first be approached.

(vi) For Queries related to foreign private entities (which are not under the control of Government of India) such as International Indian Schools abroad, individual should approach the concerned authority in foreign country.

(vii) Requests to file court cases in a foreign country/India on behalf of an individual may not be possible for Indian High Commission.

(viii) Complaints against fraud (including online fraud) or any criminal activities are required to be filed with the law enforcement agency concerned. Filing a complaint with the Indian High Commission is not sufficient in such cases.

(ix) Grievances pertaining to employment related issues may be filed. Indian High Commission attempts reconciliation through negotiation, where both parties agree. It should not be confused with filing a case in labour court or with a legal arbitrator.

(x) Countries have sovereign authority to grant or deny visa to any foreign national. The Indian High Commission does not process any complaints against any foreign Mission or authorities of a foreign country on visa related matters.